The next phase of the IMO emission regulations for shipping intends to reduce the permitted sulphur and nitrogen content of fuel from the current level of 3.5 % to a level of 0.5 % in 2020. Due to the IMO tier 2 and 3 regulations, shipping will increasingly be required to use alternative sources of propulsion such as dual-fuel engines and LNG-powered plants.
When it is running on gas, a fault in the engine can allow a flammable mixture of gas and oxygen to occur in the exhaust system. In the worst case scenario, this could ignite and cause an explosion. The result would be a failure of the drive system and electrical power supply. Essential instruments such as radios, radar and navigation equipment could be adversely affected. In addition, bursting sections of the plant would create a serious risk of injury to persons working in the engine room.
REMBE® has used its many years of experience in explosion safety to develop a system specifically for Dual-Fuel Engines. It is lightweight and has a compact design that provides outstanding levels of safety.
Q-Rohr® DFE permits flameless explosion venting in the ship’s hull and thus protects the surrounding area against the consequences of an explosion. Normal operations can recommence on the ship very quickly after an explosion occurs.
The compact, lightweight design of Q-Rohr® DFE enables it to be installed even in confined spaces.
• Maritime class certification in accordance with DNV-GL, LR, BV, ABS.
• Rapid restart of operations.
• Flameless pressure venting in the ship’s hull.
• 100 % seal tightness, to eliminate danger of asphyxiation.
• Compact, lightweight design.
• 100 % venting efficiency.
• Individually definable opening pressure.
• 100 % stainless steel for corrosion resistance.
• Connection flange in accordance with DIN 86044.
• No maintenance required, visual inspection by a technician is sufficient.
• REMBE® stainless steel filter ensures a high level of noise reduction during normal operation and in the event of an explosion.
DE 38 22 012;
US 7, 905, 244